Monday, February 26, 2007

Menu Plan Monday

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I love this new image for Menu Plan Monday, makes me want to run out and buy an apron! Anyway, this was my first week grocery shopping using The Grocery Game. It took me a bit longer than I thought to figure out what it was I wanted to do. I clipped and sorted coupons and made a Menu for the week all at the same time! So I will share my menu first, and then my experience with The Grocery Game!

Sunday: Pizza
Monday: leftovers or scrounge night
Tuesday: Breakfast for dinner, Pancakes, scrambled eggs, etc.
Wednesday: Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup
Thursday: Chicken and Dumplings in the Crockpot
Friday: Chicken Pesto Pasta, Salad and garlic cheesy bread
Saturday: Roast, Mashed Potatoes, and baby carrots

My hubby went out again this morning, but thankfully will be back on Friday for about a week before he goes out again. It was so nice to have him home this weekend, and even nicer to be able to sit back let him do things around the house. He always likes to let me relax as much as he can when we are home. Unfortunately we had a TON of stuff to get done while he was home. And I really wanted to get ALL the grocery shopping done while he was here, so I wouldn't have to do it by myself with the boys and trying to haul everything upstairs!
Now, with the Grocery Game, you are supposed to wait until between Sunday and Tuesday of each week to shop. The reason being that the stores do 72 hour sales you normally wouldn't find during the week. Our list was a lot longer than I usually make it because of that. We had run so low while I tried to NOT run to the store. I think you are supposed to pick just one store to shop at, but all three of the store on my list are literally in a five mile radius. And I don't think I would have done as well otherwise. I made my list, went through the online list and marked what to get at which store. I pulled my coupons for what I needed and off we went. I saved OVER $60 my first time out! I think I did pretty good! I learned that I could use 2 coupons on an item, even if it was a BOGO. I even got a FREE gallon of Milk! And as I learn to stockpile and only get what I need, my list will get smaller and I will spend less because we will need less! I think this is GREAT!!

4 comments:

jennyr said...

funny tuesday! i remember asking hubby if i could make pancakes for dinner & told me there's no rules for dinner...u can have breakfast for dinner!hehehe! now i know it's just ok! LoL!

my 1st time here...having fun so far!!!

Annie said...

I keep forgetting to have breakfast for dinner. I love that.
Have a great week!
blessings~
Annie

alisonwonderland said...

i love breakfast for dinner! i also love grilled cheese and tomato soup - mmmm, comfort food!

well done on the grocery savings! keep us posted on how it goes. i'm particularly interested in how much time it takes you to do what you need to do before you can shop.

have a great week!

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

Yum, this all sounds so good! We do breakfast for dinner a lot, it's about the only time we get a "big" breakfast except for a rare weekend. We also do grilled cheese and tomato soup alot, that's another favorite around here! So your week sounds good! Are the crockpot chicken and dumplings posted somewhere online? I'd love to try that one. Sounds a lot easier than the way my mom and mother-in-law taught me to make them!

Have a wonderful week!