Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Not So Wordless Today!!

I know the whole point of this is to be wordless, and rely on the picture to tell the story. But since it is a few days after Christmas, I thought I would reflect just a bit about the season. Like most Christian parents, we try so hard to make sure that our children understand the true meaning of Christmas. This is the first year we really made an effort to get the point across, my two little guys are very little, so you can only imagine how it went. As I think I mentioned before, we have a little tradition of having a birthday party for Jesus on Christmas Eve. I bake a small cake, and teeny tiny cupcakes. DH reads from the Book of Luke, and then we sing happy birthday to Jesus. I also like to sing some Christmas Carols. Well, a few days before it was my oldests birthday, he turned 3. So now, every birthday apparently belongs to him!
Heres my conversation with him:

Me: We are going to have a birthday party for Jesus tonight, and sing happy birthday to him!
My Oldest: No Mommy! Its MY birthday, not baby jesus birthday.
Me: But sweetie, you already had your birthday, now it is time to have Jesus' birthday.
My Oldest: Sing Happy Birthday to Me Mommy! And I have CAKE!

This could have gone on for hours I am sure! DH got out the Bible, and proceeded to read an Old King James Version, you know the ones, all the Thees, and Thous. Needless to say, the boys lost interest almost immediately. So I ended up paraphrasing.

Me: Mary and Joseph traveled to Bethlehem, found an Inn, there was no room for them, so they went to the Stable and that is where Baby Jesus was born, and then shepherds and 3 wisemen came to visit and brought Jesus gifts.
My youngest: Need have CAAAAKKKEE!
My Oldest: Yes Mommy, we need to have some cake!

I think I have been outnumbered!
My guys know who Santa is, but we don't in any way make it seem like the gifts are from him. I think we pretty much watched every single Christmas show the Family Channel had to offer. You know the ones, they were made in the 70's and I watched them ALL growing up. Santa Claus is Coming To Town, The Little Drummer Boy, and the odd ones, like The Year Without Santa. As far as they are concerned, Santa is about the same as Dora, or The Backyardigans. Which works fine for us. Its not about the gifts, how much they can get. Its about the birth of our Savior, and why He came in the first place. So as much as I love the Season, the decorations, and everything that goes along with it, and I want my kids to enjoy it all too, I also want to make sure they know the TRUE MEANING. Looks like it may take a while!

No comments: