Saturday, April 26, 2008

She Does It So Much Better!

I am sure by now most of you out there are familiar with a certain television Talk Show Host by the name of Oprah Winfrey. She is kind of big in case you haven't heard.
Anyway, the past month my impression of Oprah has changed quite a bit. I used to think she was a successful, but generous woman. Whose roots were based in the Baptist Church. I also rather blindly thought of her as a Christian.
Honestly, her show was not watched on a regular basis in our home. I think I watched occasionally, mostly her Favorite Things show each Christmas.
Then I caught a show that was about "Making Dreams Happen" or something like that. I thought it was going to be about persevering in your goals, tips to succeed, things like that. I was so surprised when the guests were 2 women talking about making a "Vision Board" where you put your wants and things you desired and then in essence, the Universe would bring it to you. Oprah quoted the scripture that states "Ask and it shall be given" It just did not set well with me, it sounded New Age-y. The scripture was taken out of context and felt like a way to justify being selfish.
At the end of the episode Oprah introduced the new book and her first online classroom. The book? A New Earth by Eckhard Tolle. Never having been one to take part in the Oprah Book Club, I didn't even give it a second thought.
Until my email in-box began filling up with well meaning e-mails about Oprah. Some I read, others I didn't. UNTIL I received one from my best friend in Oregon. It had a link to You Tube and some video clips from her show.







Needless to say, my jaw dropped. I had no idea.
I really wanted to immediately post something thought provoking and Biblically sound to hopefully help anyone who might be confused or is searching for answers. However, I stumbled across THIS website and well, its everything I wanted to say, only much better!
Lysa has several posts about this subject, so please check her out, she speaks the truth!

No comments: