Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Issues, We All Have Them...

Some of us more than others! Reading here earlier in the week, led hubby and I to start talking about our oldest childs food issues. And how TRULY bazaar some of them are. The topic, in case you haven't made it over there yet, was basically, how do you handle mealtime meltdowns? Go read it, and the comments, some are HI-LARIOUS! Ok, I know that took stinkin' forever, but it was worth it, right?
Train Junkie started life out pretty good, I nursed him full time (like its a job, right? And you all know it pretty much is...) until about 4 mos and then we did the usual starting food routine.(He breas*tfed until 11 mos, when he cut himself off) And he did well. Ate like a champ. LOVED green beans. Which in and of itself should have signaled my inevitable demise. Because according to my mother, when I was little I also held the green bean dear to my heart. To the point of asking for more, and at the tender age of two, I made my way around the dinner table taking them from peoples plates. Now I HATE them.... As does TJ. And all veggies in any form unless its tomato sauce and isn't that a fruit? He will eat most fruits.

But here is where it gets weird. I will start with the juice issue. We have always given our boys juice that is half water. For sugar reasons. Well, TJ HAS to have his juice with the water down (meaning put in first) and juice up. If it is any other way, and he sees you do it, he will NOT under any circumstances drink it.

The main foods he eats are Mac & Cheese, no preference to brand, so I could make it homemade if I was insane and had all the time in the world, hot dogs, ham and cheese, pb&j, and pizza. Most cereals, and breakfast foods. No eggs, he used to love them, then only wanted them if they were scalding hot. No sausage or bacon. Who doesn't like BACON??? He will eat pancakes. But hates Poptarts.

TJ will not eat a ham and cheese sandwich unless the ham is first and the cheese on top. The newest neuroticism, (is that even a word?) is he loves a ham and cheese rollup. This is a tortilla, with mayo, and ham and cheese. Ham first, cheese next, ROLL it up, do not cut it at all. If I make a quesadilla, same rule applies. We had a complete meltdown the other day when I made it WRONG. Ham on top, cheese melty on bottom, and oh the humanity, cut into the evil triangular shape. Instead of a circle....Which must be to symbolize the halo hanging over my little angel...
On a side note, I did refuse to make him anything else and he eventually picked at it and ate some of it.

Oh, and hot dogs, yeah they need to be COLD. I think I just threw up in my mouth a little thinking about that one. He will even go so far as to eat his Mac & Cheese cold. Like for lunch yesterday. All COLD. ICK. His chicken nuggets, if they are already cooked, he will eat them COLD from the freezer. And everything is to be dipped into ketchup and ranch.

He does, however, like grits. Yep, you heard me correctly. Something he picked up at school. I pay good money for my son to go to school and develop a taste for grits.
You know, for all the time we spend watching The Food Network, you would think some of it might rub off on him. So far, just the desserts have caught his attention. As he asked me to make him a CREAM PIE today. Too bad I can't camoflauge the veggies and mix them into that!

Do any of you hide foods within other foods? What are your kids weird food behaviors??

No comments: